The Leeds Diocesan Archives were established in 1958 by Bishop Dwyer. From 1958 until his retirement in 2005 the Diocesan Archivist was the late Mgr George Bradley.
As well as assisting in the present-day administration of the Diocese, the archives have long been a rich source of material for historians. A significant part of the collection pre-dates the creation of the Diocese of Leeds in 1878 and derives from the Diocese of Beverley (1850-78) and the earlier Northern and Yorkshire Districts (1688-1850). Anyone with an interest in the history of the Diocese or the development of the Catholic Church in the north of England over the past two hundred years will find much to interest them in the records held by the Leeds Docesan Archives.