Genealogy, family history and local history resources and records for tracing your Birmingham and Warwickshire ancestors and family tree.
BMDs and Parish Records
- Warwickshire Parish Records
- West Midlands BMD
West Midlands BMD has almost 2.5 million free records for births, marriages and deaths in Staffordshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire.
Burials & Cemeteries
- Birmingham Burials
The Birmingham Burials website has over 1,500,000 records from 12 cemeteries and crematoria in and around Birmingham, England.
You can search for burials from the following places:
Brandwood End cemetery, Handsworth cemetery, Key Hill cemetery, Kings Norton cemetery, Lodge Hill cemetery and crematorium, Quinton cemetery, Sutton Coldfield cemetery, Sutton, Coldfield crematorium, Sutton New Hall cemetery, Warstone Lane cemetery, Witton cemetery, Yardley cemetery and crematorium.
After searching, you’ll see a list of names with the month/year and place of burial. If you want to view the complete burial record, you’ll need to purchase it from the site. The current cost is £20 for a digital download.
Census, Land & Tax Records
- 1939 Register
Over 1,400,000 records in the Warwickshire register. Search by person or address.
- Birmingham Rate Books 1831-1913
The rate books contain information about who occupied or owned the house, how much rent was collected and the rates paid.
- Warwickshire Census Data
- Warwickshire Land Tax 1773-1830
Find out the name of the owner or occupant and the amount of tax.
Criminals and Convicts
- Coventry Convicts 1879, 1890-1897
- Transported Warwickshire Convicts
- Warwickshire Prisoners 1801-1900
There are millions of records for those eligible to vote. The lists were created annually. The records will tell you how a person is qualified to vote; this could be residence or ownership of property.
- Birmingham History Forum
The Birmingham History Forum is an active site which has many topics for family historians and genealogists looking to research their Birmingham ancestors, local and family history.
- RootsChat Warwickshire
Historical Directories of Birmingham can add some important address and occupation information to your family history.
- Historical Directories of Birmingham
Lots of free stuff here
- White’s history & directory of Birmingham 1849
- Birmingham 120 Years Ago
A reprint of a directory from 1777 which was published in 1897 with some comparisons between the years.
- Birmingham 1818 Directory (Archived)
- Birmingham Directory 1830
A directory of Birmingham, and other places in Warwickshire, printed in 1830. It contains names, addresses and occupations.
- Midlands Historical Data
There are many directories for Birmingham available on this website. You need to pay, but it’s cheap enough.
- Domesday Book Warwickshire
- Genuki Warwickshire
- History of Birmingham Places
- Our Warwickshire
- The Origin and Growth of Birmingham
- Warwickshire Place Names
- Birmingham War Memorial Records
- Royal Warwickshire Regiment History
- Soldiers of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment
- Warwickshire Roll of Honour
Photos and Postcards
Rugby School Records
Rugby school was founded in 1567 by Lawrence Sheriffe. Until very recently it was a boys school so the records contain only boys names, plus the names of the headmasters.
There are different versions of registers that cover the same years as other versions. They’re included because some contain more information about the students.
- Rugby School Register 1675-1842
- Rugby School Register 1842-1874
- Rugby School Register 1874-1904
- Rugby School Register 1675-1849
- History of Rugby School written in 1898.
- School Admission Registers 1870-1914
Societies and Groups
- Birmingham & Midland Society
The Birmingham and Midland Society for Genealogy and Heraldry is the principal family history society for the counties of: Staffordshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire.
- Coventry Family History Society