Find your ancestors and research your Northamptonshire family history, genealogy and local history using these resources and online records.
- Northamptonshire Archives
See what collections are available, how to view them and arrange a visit.
Births, Marriages, Deaths and Burials
- Free BMD
Has a lot of coverage for Northamptonshire births, marriages and deaths from 1837 onwards.
- Northamptonshire Parish Records
For baptisms, marriages and burials from 1538 onwards.
- Northamptonshire Gravestones
Gravestone photos for some town and villages. Not a huge selection, but you might be in luck.
- Northamptonshire Monumental Inscriptions
From 17 sources from around the county, the inscriptions cover 1422-2015.
- Northamton Executions 1277-1893
A real gem with details of the person executed and their crime.
- Electoral Registers 1910-1932
Search the names of over 2 million eligible voters in Northamptonshire. The registers can reveal where your ancestor lived and possibly some information about the property.
- RootsChat Northamptonshire
Ask a question about your Northamptonshire ancestors or just browse the previous posts to see info and links to help with your research.
View historical Northamptonshire street directories which might help you find your ancestor’s address and occupation.
Land and Taxes
- Northamptonshire Freeholders 1795-1797
- Northamptonshire Hearth Tax 1674
Search the tax records of over 22,000 individuals across 300 parishes. They are a major source of information for family historians. You will find out where your ancestor was living and the number of hearths found within his/her home will give you a clue to the family’s wealth and status.
- History, Gazetteer and Directory of Northamptonshire
An online book containing more than 900 pages of information.
- Historical Legends of Northamptonshire
An old book from 1883 available online.
- The Dialect and Folk-lore of Northamptonshire
An online book with some interesting history and stories.
- Old Northamptonshire Maps
Many old maps from the 1600s, 1700s and 1800s.
- Northampton General Hospital Admissions
Did your ancestor get admitted to hospital between 1774-1846? Find out when and why they ended up there.
- WWI Roll of Honour
This PDF lists over 1000 Northamptonshire soldiers by surname. Details include rank, address and regiment.
- Northamptonshire Military Tribunals 1916-1918
Did your ancestor request exemption from military service during WWI? Search more than 14,500 names to find out if they did and what the outcome was.
- Northamptonshire Militia Lists 1771
Did your ancestor serve in the Northamptonshire militia? Search more than 13,400 names to find if they did and their residence and occupation at the time.
- The History of the Northamptonshire & Rutland Militia
The history of the militia and the Northamptonshire Regiment from 1756 to 1919. An online book.
- School Admission Registers & Log-Books 1870-1914
Search over 80,000 records of Northamptonshire pupils, their parents’ names and possible occupations.
- Northamptonshire Family History Society
If you have an interest in family history or research in the county of Northamptonshire, the society could be very useful.