Research your Cheshire family history and find your ancestors with these family history, genealogy and local history records and links including BMDs, burials, wills, military records and more.
- Cheshire Archives & Local Studies
Collects, protects and promotes interest in and the use of records and printed material relating to the historic county of Cheshire.
- Wirral Archives
Births, Marriages & Deaths
- Cheshire BMD
Nearly 7 million births, marriages and deaths from the county of Cheshire. Search and view the BMD records for free.
- England BMDs
- The Cheshire Collection
Contains many important databases for Cheshire.
Burials & Cemeteries
- Cheshire Memorial Inscription Collection
- Norbury Church, Hazel Grove, Stockport
- Overleigh Cemetery Database 1850-1950
- Tameside Burials
Records are available from: Dukinfield Cemetery and Crematorium, Hyde Cemetery, Mottram Cemetery
Criminals and Convicts
- Cheshire Historical Directories
- Cheshire & Chester Trade Directories 1781-1840
- Collection of Directories for Cheshire
- Cheshire Tithe Maps
Almost 500 Cheshire tithe maps are now available online. Together with the information recorded in tithe apportionments, they are a unique record of land ownership, occupancy and use in Cheshire 150 years ago.
You can use them to answer questions such as:
- Where did your ancestors live?
- Who lived in your village or even your house?
- What was land in your area used for?
- Who owned land in your area?
- Old Cheshire Maps
- British Military Records
- Carl’s Cam War Memorials
Carl’s cam gives you free access to hundreds of war memorials in Cheshire with the names of those on them. There is a surname index for easy browsing. Photos of Cheshire can also be found using the alphabetical place name list, plus there’s a gazetteer of Cheshire with a handy timeline of its history. A great site for cheshire family history.
- Cheshire Military Museum
- Cheshire Military Records
- Cheshire Roll of Honour
- The Cheshire Regiment
- Trafford War Dead
- Alderly Edge Miners
- British Apprentices 1710-1808
- Cheshire Police Roll of Honour
- Lost Pubs of Cheshire
Photos and Postcards
- Carl’s Cam
- Cheshire Image Bank
The digital image archive of Cheshire Archives and Local Studies which includes images of Cheshire’s people, places & events. Images can be searched, viewed and purchased.
- Cheshire Photograph Index
Societies and Groups
- Family History Society of Cheshire
Founded in 1969 to advance the study of family history and genealogy, they now have around 3000 members worldwide. As well as helping people with ancestors in Cheshire, they also assist members living locally whose ancestors originated elsewhere.
Wills and Probate
- Cheshire Archives Wills & Probate Records
- Cheshire Wills and Probate
- Chester Wills Index 1761-1780
- Disley Wills
- Weaverham Wills 1599-1837