- Federation of Family History Societies
Federation of Family History Societies is where you will find local family history societies. As well as its list of member societies, it has a discussion forum, genealogy news, and a directory of speakers.
- Society of Genealogists
Founded in 1911 the Society of Genealogists (SoG) is Britain’s premier family history society. The Society maintains a splendid genealogical library and education centre in Clerkenwell in London.
The Society’s collections are particularly valuable for research before the start of civil registration of births marriages and deaths in 1837 but there is plenty for the beginner too, including the Free Family History Access area where beginners can get a taste of some of the online sources that will help them start their research.
The International Society for British Genealogy and Family History has been around a long time – longer than it takes to say the full name. Many of us who have been involved for years talk about “ISB” not only for convenience, but because the nickname suggests what the organization is – small, practical and friendly.The Society continues to evolve but it retains its original purpose. ISB is here to help members overcome the challenges of researching British Isles roots from a distance.
- Families In British India Society
Did your European or Anglo-Indian ancestors live or work in India or South Asia between 1600 and 1947? This site can help your research. You can:
- Search a database of more than 937,000 individual names (fibis database)FREE
- Find out more about the lives your ancestors lived (fibiwiki) FREE
- Connect with other people searching for your ancestors using the FIBIS Social network (members area) MEMBERS ONLY
- Learn more about researching British India with beginner to expert guides (FIBIS Research and FIBIS Books)
- Keep up-to-date with the latest news in the world of British India Family History by following our blog FREE
The Families In British India Society (FIBIS) is a self-help organisation devoted to members researching their ancestors and the background against which they led their lives in ‘British India’. As your research progresses, we hope you will contribute your successful results to our pages for the benefit of others.
- Foundation for Medieval Genealogy
The Foundation for Medieval Genealogy (FMG) was established in 2001 by a group of British genealogists and historians with a special interest in the medieval period. In January 2002 the FMG was formally registered as a not-for-profit organisation with the Charity Commission for England and Wales.The aims of the FMG are:
- to advance public education in the study of medieval genealogy and prosopography
- to promote research into medieval genealogy
- to publish the results of that research
There are various membership options open to anyone with an interest in Medieval Genealogy.
- Catholic Family History Society
The Catholic Family History Society holds monthly meetings around the country and produce some publications to help your research along. Memberships are also available.
- Jewish Genealogical Society of GB
The Jewish Genealogy Society of Great Britain – JGSGB – was founded in 1992 for beginners and experienced researchers to: help one another to learn and discover more about genealogy; encourage genealogical research; promote the preservation of Jewish genealogical records and resources; and share information amongst members.
- Quaker Family History Society
The Quaker Family History Society was formed in 1993 and is a member of the Federation of Family History Societies. Our aim is to encourage and assist anyone interested in tracing the history of Quaker families in the British Isles. We are based in Britain, so do not claim any expertise on the history of Quakers outside Britain.
- Romany & Traveller FHS
If an ancestor of yours was Romany, a traveller or worked on a fairground, then the Romany & Traveller Family History Society is the place to trace these folks. There are publications including family trees where you might find an ancestor. There’s also a photo gallery of people and fairgrounds.
Membership is available and starts at £12.00 for a year.