The first time that such a variety of Tasmanian records are available online, all from the same search, including Tasmanian Birth, Death and Marriage records.
Records Included in the name index
- Arrivals (19th Century). Passengers and ships arriving, mainly in Hobart.
- Births (1803-1933). People born in Tasmania including some baptisms collected by the Registrar General (1900-1933 baptisms only).
- Census (1837-1857). Householders in the 1840s and 1850s, not complete for all districts.
- Deaths (1803-1933). People who died in Tasmania including some burial records collected by the Registrar General (1900-1933 burials only).
- Convict permissions to marry (1829-1857). Convicts applying to marry free people or other convicts.
- Convicts (1803-1893). Convicts transported to Tasmania and those convicted locally through the convict system.
- Departures (1817-1867). People leaving Tasmanian ports, mainly Launceston.
- Divorces (1861-1920). Petitions for divorce in the Tasmanian Supreme Court.
- General Index (1818-1934). A range of records, including people’s names and subjects.
- Inquests (1828-1930). Inquests into people’s deaths.
- Marriages (1803-1899). People who married in Tasmania.
- Naturalisations (1835-1905). People applying to become citizens.
- Wills (1824-1989). Wills and letters of administration of estates registered for probate.
Births, Marriages and Deaths
- Tasmania Births 1803-1933
Search more than 200,000 names in the original birth register. You can also see the original images.
- Tasmania Marriages 1803-1899
This collection has over 100,000 names to search.
- Tasmania Deaths 1803-1933
View the original records from more than 100,000 deaths.
- Millingtons Cemetery Search
Search the burial records from 5 cemeteries across Tasmania. Cornelian Bay, Kingston Regional, East Risdon, Cambridge and Pontville Catholic.
- Tasmania Gravestone Photos
Names and images from a few cemeteries.
- Glamorgan District Electoral Rolls
The University of Tasmania has Glamorgan (Tasmania) Electoral Rolls for you to download in PDF format for the years 1863-1871.
- Tasmania Electoral Rolls 1934 & 1943
Search for those eligible and registered to vote.
- Biographical Database of Australia
BDA is a new research tool for historians and genealogists comprising transcripts and indexes of many original records and published biographies of deceased individuals who arrived in or were born in Australia, starting from the earliest times.This first release contains convict, muster, census, baptism, marriage and burial manuscript records for most of the New South Wales population 1788-1828, for Norfolk Island and Tasmania 1802-1811, and many immigrant and convict records from 1829-1837 along with full text of short biographies of 11,000+ residents of most colonies/states published 1881-1907.
- Tasmania Wills & Letters Of Administration 1824-1989
Discover information relating to your ancestors’ wills or letters of administration, such as the condition of their estate and their next of kin.
- Tasmanian Place Names and Changes
A list of former place names and what they changed to.
- Tasmanian Family History Society
This is the Hobart branch. They have some records, membership options, online and offline meetings.
- A History of Tasmaia
From its discovery in 1642 to the present time (1884).
- Tasmania Convict Records 1800-1893
Find out about your criminal ancestor who was sent to Tasmania.